Champions Cup: Glasgow Warriors upset Bayonne, while Northampton Saints defeat Toulon.

Champions Cup: Northampton Saints edge out Toulon as Glasgow Warriors dramatically beat Bayonne

In the Champions Cup, Northampton Saints and Glasgow Warriors both battled hard to win their second pool matches; Northampton has already won both of its Pool 3 games to lead the table, while Glasgow has moved up to third place following their significant victory on Friday night.

Northampton Saints prevailed 22–19 at Franklin’s Gardens in the Champions Cup, despite a slew of injuries and a resolute Toulon team.

For the majority of the game, Saints held a lead until the 66th minute, when former second row David Ribbans—who left the east Midlands at the end of the previous season—went over to give the second-placed team in the Top 14.

A pair of wings In each half, knee issues had claimed the lives of Tom Seabrook and George Hendy. Shortly after the interval, it was disconcerting to witness scrum-half Fin Smith undergoing medical attention. To further exacerbate a concerning evening regarding injuries, Ollie Sleightholme, Hendy’s substitute, also hobbled off.


However, the tide turned as Toulon witnessed Jeremy Sinzelle and Matteo le Corvec commit sins in the same move, reducing them to just 13 men for the final five minutes of play.

It proved to be too much to overcome, as just after Tom Lockett, the replacement lock, went over the line in the right corner, allowing Smith to convert, Northampton made a breakthrough.

The home team won eight out of nine games in the Gallagher Premiership, making it two victories from two in the Champions Cup this season thanks to an excellent performance by Courtney Lawes.

The game’s MVP, Lawes, made a number of significant contributions and was at his best in defense as Toulon’s comeback gained traction. George Furbank, the full-back, demonstrated his strength for the second score by finishing with two tries.

 Glasgow just hold on to beat Bayonne

Also in Pool 3, Glasgow Warriors made light of their set-piece failings to edge out Bayonne 12-11 and put themselves back in the hunt for the round-of-16 with a much-needed away win.

Having been beaten 28-17 at home in the first round by Northampton, the Scottish side headed to the south of France bottom of the pool and they had to withstand a final 40-second, multi-phase onslaught with the clock in the red before taking the points.

The game got off to a flying start and the packed home crowd created a magnificent atmosphere for their club’s first home game in the Champions Cup.

They were hoping for a quick start at Stade Jean Dauger after making an incredible competition debut against Munster, drawing 17–17 at Thomond Park.

Two minutes into the first half, Glasgow appeared to have the best chance of scoring first after being awarded a penalty in the home half. The first half was fast and fierce. Playing in his first game in eighteen months, Ross Thompson kicked into the right corner, starting the line-out drive.

Twice Bayonne held them out, the second time coming after Ollie Smith collected a cross-field kick from Thompson and tapped down in the corner. But one of his boots shaved the touchline, so the try was out.

To try to score tries, both teams avoided taking simple shots at the goal. Although Argentina’s eighth player Rodrigo Bruni was found to have performed a double movement and had his effort from the 14th minute disqualified, Bayonne was the first team to cross the line.

Just after Zander Fagerson was given a yellow card by English referee Adam Leal for staggering during a breakdown, the game’s first goal was scored. In the 28th minute, home captain Camille Lopez was able to convert a simple penalty as a result.

Six minutes later, after Lopez had kicked another penalty into the right corner of the Glasgow 22 area, the French team increased their lead. Argentina’s hooker Facundo Bosch rode the dive and then pounced to score, proving that the line-out drive was successful this time.

At the half, the score was tied at one point, but two minutes into the second half, a second Lopez penalty gave the home team an 11-7 lead.

After their second try of the game, Glasgow took the lead shortly before the hour mark. After advancing near the Bayonne line, two brilliant passes to the left allowed Kiwi wing Josh McKay to run into the corner and score the touchdown that gave Glasgow the lead with an impressive dive.

Signing with New Australia As the home team applied more pressure, Reece Hodge missed two magnificent kicks that went just wide of the posts, but Glasgow held firm.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button